I had the honor to talk to another talented maker all the way from the UK! Her Nordic decor and brooches are just soo adorable, I can’t get enough! I asked her some questions, and here is what she had to say!
1. Can you introduce yourself to us, and tell us a little about you? What niche/craft/etc do you do?
I create textile art and lifestyle products. The relationship between me and a handmade piece creates a story, which makes each product not a mass-market item, but an individually crafted piece. I work with natural and recycled materials with a focus on sustainable methods of production, and this shapes my collections. I try to recycle as much waste as possible and use recycled boxes for my trade deliveries where possible.
2. How long have you been doing it?
I started it as a hobby in 2016, and in the middle of 2018, I registered my company and started to treat it as a business.
3. What inspired you to become a small business owner?
I always dreamed to have more control over my life, to be my own boss, and also share my creativity: this strong call from the depths of the soul to make something beautiful, fresh and unique.
4. If you look back to where you began when you started your business journey, what do you wish someone would have told you? Was there a secret you learned along the way that you wish you new earlier? Or are you glad you learned the lesson when you did?
It doesn’t matter how much or how little you know about business at the beginning, you always learn on the way. I have my degree in business management, but I didn’t learn at the university how to create a business from scratch, use social media, or how to launch an e-commerce website. I am learning all the time and that is ok. I would like to have been more self-confident from the start, and not be afraid of making mistakes. I do make mistakes and that’s ok. That’s how I grow my experience.
5. During your journey, have you had any failures, or wanted to give up? What made you keep trying?
Let me share my favourite Thomas Edison’s quote: “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” Yes, I found a lot of ways that won’t work!
6. What unique perspective do you bring to your niche?
The materials I work with shape my collections and play a key part in my look and values. I choose to work with natural, recycled and reclaimed materials through sustainable methods of production.
7. Do you do this full time? If not what else do you do? Do you have any other hobbies that you pursue outside of your business?
Yes, it is a full-time job. Sometimes from the early morning till midnight. And during quarantine, I have homeschooling, cooking etc.
I love to start the morning with a run, and while everyone is still asleep have a quiet minute with a cup of coffee and a book.
8. What is your favorite social media platform?
Youtube is number one! I watch Youtube while I am working on my pieces.
9. What is one thing that you need to succeed in this business?
At the moment, I would like to find a reliable employee to help me with business.
10. What is your biggest accomplishment in your business so far?
I started successfully selling my textile figurines and brooches in local small shops and boutiques.
11. If you could tell your future self something, what would it be?
Create more value than you capture and laugh as much as possible!
12. What is your most popular item that you sell? What has this taught you about yourself?
My number one is Tiny Gnome Brooch.
13. What advice can you give to anyone that is thinking about joining the Galilee Life family?
Yes, do it! It seems like a very nice community with great support.
15. Lighting Round! Don’t think just answer:
* Beach or Snow? Beach
* Books: paper or audio? Paper
* Netflix or Cable? Neither
* Tea or coffee? Both
* YouTube or Podcast? YouTube
* Chocolate or Vanilla? Vanilla of course!
* Sweet or Salty? Salty
* Favorite meal? Sushi
* Favorite Book? Scythe by Neal Shusterman
*Favorite song? Warm Weather by Blank & Jones
* Favorite quote? The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones. by Confucius
* Favorite Bible Verse? Corinthians 13:4-8: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonour others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
To learn more about her, check out her links:
Watch her product review here!